JENNIFER S. BASSETT ~ Content & Communications Specialist
Independent Consultant and Contractor, Content Strategy, Communications, Editing, and Copywriting, 2014-2016
- Lead and execute content strategies, editorial strategies, and content marketing strategies for top brands, digital agencies, and startups.
- Experience working on campaigns, product development, and corporate communications.
- Write copy, including white papers, blog posts, articles, microcopy, books, marketing copy, e-newsletters, video scripts, event invites, social media, and press releases.
- Conduct competitive content audits, content audits of owned media channels, quantitative and qualitative research, and recommendations.
- Help design and conduct user research studies and present key insights and findings.
- Design content ecosystems encompassing paid, owned, and earned.
- Create and lead tone of voice workshops. Edit short-form and long-form copy. Create content briefs, SEO materials, editorial guidelines, editorial calendars, content templates, and governance documents. Oversee and manage freelancers.
- Create taxonomies, content maps, site maps, content matrices, and content templates.
- Partner with UX on IA, wireframes, and prototyping.
- Create and execute influencer outreach strategies.
- Prepare best practice documents for content (social, web, SEO).
- Train team members and clients on content best practices.
Clients: SourceMedia Group, Critical Mass (McKinsey), H4B (Genzyme), Fjord (Samsung and Bank of America), SYPartners (USA Today), Sullivan NYC (Two Sigma, Cornell Tech, Merrill Lynch, TD Ameritrade, Baseball Hall of Fame, Crown Castle), Salter Baxter (Hilton), Gotham Ghostwriters, Scott Rudin Productions
Memorial Sloan Kettering, Senior Managing Editor and Content Strategist, 2014
- Led content strategy for MSK’s Public Affairs & Marketing department, managing editor for blog, website, social, and e-newsletter. Managed editors and staff of freelancers.
- Content and creative lead and digital agency point person for website relaunch and digital roadmap.
- Liaison between public affairs, marketing, and all agencies for “More Science. Less Fear” ad campaign launch.
- Oversaw MSK’s Facebook and Twitter and spearheaded and managed paid social campaigns.
- Developed shared content calendar and planned new landing pages on website, including all UX and copy.
- Created a messaging matrix template for public affairs to organize how they communicate institutional priorities and milestones for every relevant channel.
- Reported on content analytics for website and used findings to inform content development.
- Defined key performance indicators for social, and reported on social performance using Radian6.
- Advised internal communications team on effective rollout of new knowledge management platform.
- Oversaw and created all digital content for MSK’s partnership with IBM Watson.
- Introduced infographics and interactives into MSK’s digital experience.
Havas Worldwide, New York, NY, Content Strategy Director, September 2011-2014
- Led a new agency practice and built a team of seven including senior content strategists, community managers, and freelance bloggers.
- Responsible for all content strategy deliverables including interviewing stakeholders, auditing all content properties, social campaigns, creating content matrices, plans, editorial calendars, copyediting, copywriting, tone of voice guides, content governance and maintenance documents, information architecture, SEO recommendations, blogger outreach, influencer strategy, native advertising, CMS-recommendations, and SMS-recommendations.
- Collaborated closely with client stakeholders, UX, Analytics, Developers, Project Managers, and Designers on all website, app, and social builds.
Awards: 2012 OMMA Award for Best in Show Online Advertising Creativity and OMMA Award for Integrated Online Campaign, Financial Services for work on Oppenheimer’s Global Tracker and app and Globalize Your Thinking campaign.
Clients: Dos Equis, Hershey’s, OppenheimerFunds, Atlantic City, New York Life, Kraft, Volvo, Asus, Dr. Scholl’s, Coppertone, IBM, GlaxoSmithKline
Interbrand, New York, NY, Senior Manager Global Brand Communications, 2010-2011, Editor, Corporate Communications, 2008-2010
- Led Interbrand's content strategy for its website and social.
- Gatekeeper for Interbrand’s brand voice.
- Planned, wrote, and edited content for all corporate materials, including Interbrand’s website, blog, internal and external newsletter, and social media outlets.
- Created a multi-platform marketing and communications plan for Interbrand’s Webby-honored Best Global Brands and Interbrand's Best Global Green Brands, conceptualized and managed all digital, creative, and editorial for the report, and wrote and edited Best Global Brands magazine and all online and social content.
- Improved Interbrand’s global website architecture and worked with global offices, translators, and programmers to translate the Interbrand corporate website into six different languages.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, New York, Editorial Assistant, 2006-2008
- Prepared, acquired, and edited paperbacks, wrote and edited book marketing copy, including back jacket and catalog copy.
- Read and reported on submissions, wrote editorial letters, handled permissions, tracked deadlines, prepared P&L statements, drafted contract requests, requested payments, coordinated direct mailings, and coordinated with agents and authors.
Del Commune Enterprises, New York, Book Scout, 2005-2006
- Wrote weekly reports on the New York publishing scene for Harpo Productions (film & TV), Penguin, Longonesi, Garzanti, Nieuw Amsterdam, Urano, and Ullstein and acted as a consultant to all companies on book acquisitions.
IMG Literary, New York, Foreign Rights Associate and Assistant Agent, 2004-2005
- Handled foreign rights for IMG Literary, contracted agent for five clients, and edited and pitched book proposals, novels, and magazine articles.
Editorial Strategy, Digital Strategy, Content Strategy, Developmental Editing, Copywriting, Copyediting, 2001-2015
PR, Brand Strategy, Digital Strategy, Events: CaseNex, LLC and Meatopia Food Festival (2011, 2012)Copyediting & Developmental Editing: Rolling Stone Magazine, Swink Magazine (Senior Editor, 2004-2008), Dissent Magazine (2002-2003), Intermedia Advertising Group (2001-2003)
Copywriting: The Guardian, Publishers Weekly, KGB Bar Lit, HTMLGIant, Intermedia Advertising Group
Film: Traveling East Productions (2001); UNTITLED TV project: Producer of Marketing & Distribution, Writer, Associate Producer, Scott Rudin Productions, Coverage writer (2015-2016)
New York University, New York, NY
Master’s degree in Humanities and Social Thought received
Columbia University, New York, NY
Bachelor of Arts in English with Honors in Creative Writing
Phillips Academy, Andover, MA
Proficient in HTML, Drupal, Sharepoint, WordPress, Sysomos, Google Analytics, SEO Best Practices, InDesign, MS Office Suite, Access, Outlook, Photoshop, Acrobat, PowerPoint, Mac OS, Windows OS, Final Cut Pro, XML, and Agile/scrum.